Thank you for your interest in the 2015 Blue and Purple Belt Invitational. We are excited about the opportunity this presents our blue and purple belt competitors.
This page will be updated frequently with any changes and additional information as necessary. If you have any questions that are not covered on this page, please don’t hesitate to send us an email.
Registration cost: $40 per qualifier.
If you place first or second in a qualifier, then you will be guaranteed a spot in our Invitational on May 16th.
You may compete in as many qualifiers as you’d like, until you qualify.
- Each qualifier is single elimination, submission only.
- Each match is 10 minutes long.
- Each match will follow the AGF rules for that rank.
- While there will be no points scored, we will keep track of Advantages for strong submission attempts.
- At the end of the 10 minutes, if the match is a draw, both competitors will be eliminated.
- Juvenile, Adult, Masters and Seniors all compete in same gender/rank/weight division.
- Day of weigh-ins. You must make weight, or you will be disqualified. Weight will be recorded without the gi.
- Green belt females and males will be allowed to register in the blue belt divisions.
- Must be a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gi.
- Competitor’s gi can be of any color, however the top and bottom must match.
- Male competitors are not allowed to wear a rash guard under their gi.
There are 8 divisions available:
- Females >> Blue >> 140 lbs and below
- Females >> Blue >> 140.1 lbs and up
- Females >> Purple >> 140 lbs and below
- Females >> Purple >> 140.1 lbs and up
- Males >> Blue >> 180 lbs and below
- Males >> Blue >> 180.1 lbs and up
- Males >> Purple >> 180 lbs and below
- Males >> Purple >> 180.1 lbs and up
Qualifier Dates and Locations:
Only competitors who earned an invitation are allowed to participate in this event. There is no cost to participate.
The rules will be the same as the qualifier events, with a few exceptions.
- No time limit.
- No advantages will be recorded.
All matches will be recorded.
Each division winner will earn a $1,000 cash prize.
Invitational Date and Location:
- May 16, 2015 – Blue/Purple Belt Invitational (Dallas, TX)
Waxahachie Global High School
600 W 2nd St
Doors Open: 9:00 AM
Weigh Ins: 9:00 – 9:59 AM
Competition Starts: 10:00 AM
Blue Males 180 lbs and under
- AJ Nichols – Stillwater Martial Arts
- Jacob Robinson – West Side MMA
- Skylar Navarre – BJJ Revolution Team
- Austin Dill – Atos Houston
- Damion Oranday – Atos Houston
- Alex Lara – Soul Fighters Dallas
- Aaron Butler – West Side MMA
- Matt Ferris – West Side MMA
- Andrew Wiltse – Pedigo Submission Fighting
- Austin Oranday – Atos Houston
- Roberto Jimenez – Alliance Team Gacho*
- Daniel Ray – Team LDMA (Forca)*
- Griffin Henderson – Oklahoma Martial Arts Academy*
- Michael Harmeling – GFTeam*
- Dylan Smith – Triton Fight Center*
- Alex Rodriguez – BQuick JJ*
Blue Males 180.1 and up
- Zach Coffee – Lovato BJJ
- David Spindle – ION Jiu Jitsu
- James Stampley – BJJ Revolution Team
- Andrew Kurtzman – Clementi’s Gladiator Academy
- Rico Nimmons – Carlson Gracie Team
- Kyle Short – Flux MMA
- John Kenney – West Side MMA
- Jonas Goins – Ryan BJJ
- Jorge Valladares – Top Game Jiu Jitsu
- David Melton – Roberto Kaelin BJJ
- Tori Peaks – West Side MMA*
- Jahmal Fracisco – RCJ Machado*
- Shayne Goforth – Lawrence County Boxing*
- Gus Strobel – No Limit Killer Bees*
- Shep Fuller – Takedown Jiu Jitsu Club*
- David Wiggers – Red River BJJ*
Blue Females 140 lbs and under
- Alexis Andrade – Team LDMA (Inferno)
- Cora Sanders – Team LDMA (Forca)
- Riley Breedlove – Phenom BJJ
- Jamie Arens – UFC Gym
- Bambi Oranday – Atos Houston
- Natalie Shear – UFC Gym Fayetteville
- B’Aylana Morgan – Valor Martial Arts
- Christin Osborn – Memphis Judo & BJJ*
- Kayla De Leon – BJJ Revolution
- Maribel Ramirez – Team Tooke
- Brooke Oliver – BQuick JJ*
- Ha Bui – Oklahoma Martial Arts Academy*
- Hazel Capalad – No Limit Killer Bees*
- Summer Willkinson – BJJ Revolution*
- Ashley Strawser – DDR*
Blue Females 140.1 and up
- Teara Lewis – Clinch Martial Arts Academy
- Hanna Harjo – Triton Fight Center
- Julia Avila – Oklahoma Martial Arts
- Kimberly Williams – BJJ Revolution Team
- Tempie Christlebar – Guetho Texas
- Lindsey Farris – West Side MMA
- Susie Dezelle – Galveston BJJ
- Hannah Hanley – Clinch Martial Arts Academy*
Purple Males 180 lbs and under
- Julian Learned – American Elite MMA
- Brian Wilson – Team LDMA (Forca)
- Alex Lane – BJJ Revolution Team
- Heath Henry – BJJ Revolution Team
- Fernando Salas – Soul Fighters Dallas
- Ryan Brown – RCJ Machado
- Clay Mayfield – iQ Jiu-Jitsu
- Taylor Bright – Memphis Judo & BJJ
- Jae McIntosh – No Limit Killer Bees*
- Bret Hernandez – Atos Houston
- Reshal Malik – Zion Martial Arts*
- Mathew Welch – Ryan BJJ*
- Jason Casillas – Casillas BJJ*
- Peter Beyer – West Side MMA*
- Eli Ruben – BJJ Revolution*
Purple Males 180.1 and up
- Dallas Niles – Lovato BJJ
- Colby Dobbins – Cobra BJJ
- Jimmy Boyette
- Javier Zapata – Alex Martins BJJ
- Tony Trammell – COR Jiu Jitsu
- Kevin Sniff – West Side MMA
- Kevin Williams – American Elite MMA
- Dinko Bektic – Revolution Dojo
- Benjamin Parker – GFTeam
- Jules Bruchez – Gladiators Academy
- Juan Hernandez – Zion Martial Arts*
- Nick Davis – Triton Fight Center*
- Michael Miller – Lovato BJJ*
- James Sherry – Star Jiu-Jitsu*
- Jessica Dobbs – No Limit Killer Bees
- Victoria Caceres – Soul Fighters Dallas
- Patricia Machado – Brazilian Top Team Austin
- Laura Heiman Martins – Eastside Austin Elite
- Kayla Patterson – Memphis Judo & BJJ
- Laura Uyeda – West Side MMA*
- Larissa Tozzi- Ezra Lenon BJJ
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I’m a white belt, can I compete in the blue belt division?
A: No. You will need to be a blue belt to compete in the blue belt division.
Q: What happens if I’m promoted after I’ve qualified for the event?
A: You will be ineligible for the blue belt invitational since you are no longer a blue belt. However, you haven’t qualified as a purple belt. If there is still an available qualifier, you will receive a free entry into that qualifier with the opportunity to earn a spot in the purple belt invitational.
Q: I’m a green belt juvenile, can I compete as a blue belt?
A: Yes. Juvenile green belts can compete as a blue belt.
Q: I do not live in a state with a qualifier, can I still compete?
A: Absolutely! You can attend any qualifier you want.
Q: What happens if I miss weight?
A: Weigh ins will be on the day of the event. If you miss weight, you are disqualified. We will not move you up to the next weight class. Select a weight class you feel you can make.
Q: What is the prize for winning a qualifier?
A: You win an invitation to the Invitational event and bragging rights for winning your qualifying event.
Q: What is the prize for winning the Invitational?
A: The cash prize is $1000 for winning your division in the Invitational. With both genders (male/female), 2 weight classes, and blue and purple divisions, we will be awarding $8,0000 in cash prizes.
Q: What happens if there’s a tie during a qualifier?
A: If there is a tie during a qualifier, and no advantages awarded to break that tie, then both competitors are eliminated.
Q: What’s different between the Qualifier and Invitational events?
A: The Invitational is a true submission only event with no time limit. Advantages will not be scored, and the match ends with a submission.
Q: If I win a Qualifier, can I compete at additional Qualifiers?
A: No. Once you win a Qualifier, you are unable to compete at any more Qualifiers.
Q: How much does it cost to spectate?
A: Spectator fee will be determined by the hosting academy.