Thank you for your interest in the 2015 Blue and Purple Belt Invitational. We are excited about the opportunity this presents our blue and purple belt competitors.
This page will be updated frequently with any changes and additional information as necessary. If you have any questions that are not covered on this page, please don’t hesitate to send us an email.
Registration cost: $40 per qualifier.
If you place first or second in a qualifier, then you will be guaranteed a spot in our Invitational on May 16th.
You may compete in as many qualifiers as you’d like, until you qualify.
- Each qualifier is single elimination, submission only.
- Each match is 10 minutes long.
- Each match will follow the AGF rules for that rank.
- While there will be no points scored, we will keep track of Advantages for strong submission attempts.
- At the end of the 10 minutes, if the match is a draw, both competitors will be eliminated.
- Juvenile, Adult, Masters and Seniors all compete in same gender/rank/weight division.
- Day of weigh-ins. You must make weight, or you will be disqualified. Weight will be recorded without the gi.
- Green belt females and males will be allowed to register in the blue belt divisions.
- Must be a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gi.
- Competitor’s gi can be of any color, however the top and bottom must match.
- Male competitors are not allowed to wear a rash guard under their gi.
There are 8 divisions available:
- Females >> Blue >> 140 lbs and below
- Females >> Blue >> 140.1 lbs and up
- Females >> Purple >> 140 lbs and below
- Females >> Purple >> 140.1 lbs and up
- Males >> Blue >> 180 lbs and below
- Males >> Blue >> 180.1 lbs and up
- Males >> Purple >> 180 lbs and below
- Males >> Purple >> 180.1 lbs and up
Qualifier Dates and Locations:
- March 21, 2015 – Blue/Purple Belt Qualifier (Tulsa, OK)
- March 29, 2015 – Blue/Purple Belt Qualifier (Lafayette, LA)
- April 11, 2015 – Blue/Purple Belt Qualifier (Dallas, TX)
- April 18, 2015 – Blue/Purple Belt Qualifier (Little Rock, AR)
- April 25, 2015 – Blue/Purple Belt Qualifier (Houston, TX)
Only competitors who earned an invitation are allowed to participate in this event. There is no cost to participate.
The rules will be the same as the qualifier events, with a few exceptions.
- Each competitor will compete against all opponents in their division. This means the potential of 9 matches for each competitor.
- We will only record wins. Tie scores will result in a draw and will have no positive or negative effect.
All matches will be recorded.
Each division winner will earn a $1,000 cash prize. Winner is determined by the most submission victories at the completion of the tournament.
Tie breaker is determined by the fastest submission of the division.
Invitational Date and Location:
- May 16, 2015 – Blue/Purple Belt Invitational (Dallas, TX)
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I’m a white belt, can I compete in the blue belt division?
A: No. You will need to be a blue belt to compete in the blue belt division.
Q: What happens if I’m promoted after I’ve qualified for the event?
A: You will be ineligible for the blue belt invitational since you are no longer a blue belt. However, you haven’t qualified as a purple belt. If there is still an available qualifier, you will receive a free entry into that qualifier with the opportunity to earn a spot in the purple belt invitational.
Q: I’m a green belt juvenile, can I compete as a blue belt?
A: Yes. Juvenile green belts can compete as a blue belt.
Q: I do not live in a state with a qualifier, can I still compete?
A: Absolutely! You can attend any qualifier you want.
Q: What happens if I miss weight?
A: Weigh ins will be on the day of the event. If you miss weight, you are disqualified. We will not move you up to the next weight class. Select a weight class you feel you can make.
Q: What is the prize for winning a qualifier?
A: You win an invitation to the Invitational event and bragging rights for winning your qualifying event.
Q: What is the prize for winning the Invitational?
A: The cash prize is $1000 for winning your division in the Invitational. With both genders (male/female), 2 weight classes, and blue and purple divisions, we will be awarding $8,0000 in cash prizes.
Q: What happens if there’s a tie during a qualifier?
A: If there is a tie during a qualifier, and no advantages awarded to break that tie, then both competitors are eliminated.
Q: What’s different between the Qualifier and Invitational events?
A: In the Qualifiers, you are bracketed. Depending on the number of competitors in your division, you could have multiple matches, or just one. In the Invitational, you will have lots of matches. You will face every other competitor in your division in a submission only match. The event will be live streamed, and you will receive a TON of exposure.
Q: If I win a Qualifier, can I compete at additional Qualfiers?
A: No. Once you win a Qualifier, you are unable to compete at any more Qualifiers.
Q: How much does it cost to spectate?
A: Spectator fee will be determined by the hosting academy.